Well done to our wonderful writers of the week.
Congratulations to Daniel, Oliver, Aurea, Jack, Grace, Lexi, Hannah, Keelie, Cory, Holly and Ellie.
Congratulations to our Stars of the Week.
Well done to Zara, Kenzie, Kaitlen, Nathan, Rylee, Lilly-Leigh, Rosie, Summer-Rose, Libby, Elissya and Owen.
As part of the Premier League Primary Stars programme, Toner Avenue School have received their new football strips. After a successful application during the Summer Term, the kit finally arrived shortly before lunchtime today.
The goalkeeper strip is a fluorescent orange coloured top and socks, with black shorts; whilst the outfield players will be sporting a one colour royal blue strip.
Look out for squad and fixture announcements, as well as match reports in the near future.
Welcome everyone to Toner Avenue Reception
It’s been really busy in Reception since coming back in September and this week sees our children staying at school for a whole day!
The children have settled really quickly and are becoming much more confident with things like lunch time and work time!
We have been observing and getting to know the children and this year for the first time we are using an online based observation tool called Tapestry. This means instead of getting a ‘Learning Journal’ book or file at the end of the year, you’ll be given a password to access your child’s personal online journal on your Smart phone, Ipad, Iphone or computer! We will be sending out a separate letter asking for an email address so we can set up your own personal account!
This first half term is all about settling the children in and really getting to know them, but alongside this your children will begin phonics, this involves looking at letters and sounds and to begin laying the foundations they will need to be able to read and write! We will be looking at numbers, recognising them and being able to count them! Lots of fun!
Alongside this we will also look at the season of Autumn and Harvest, both in the Christian church and also in the Jewish community.
We are always collecting ‘junk’ for the fabulous models your children create! (No glass or milk cartons please!)
After the October week holiday we will be holding a library session every Friday from 3:00pm in our school hall. This will be an opportunity for you to choose books to share with your children.
Our doors are always open and if you have any concerns or worries please do not hesitate to speak to a member of staff. Issues do occur but we can’t be of any help if we don’t know about it!
School is holding a Macmillan Coffee Morning on Friday 29th September. It will be held in the Junior Hall and start at approx. 9:15 am.
There will be a number of stalls:
Cakes, buns, bread and biscuits
Guess the number of spots
Guess the number of sweets in the jar
Name the teddy
We would love to see you all there, with the proceeds going to a worthwhile cause.
If you have anything to donate in terms of cakes, etc / items for the stalls could you send them to school via Year 6.
(If possible could you include an ingredients list if you donate cakes etc. in case of any specific food allergies in school)
Thanks for your continued support – we look forward to seeing you.
Well done to our wonderful writers.
Congratulations to Stephen, Summer, Amy, Hollie, Sophie, Katie, Geordie, Lacey, Mia, Lilly and Connor.
Well done to all our wonderful Stars of the Week.
Congratulations to Elise, Layla, Alyssa, Cerys, Jay, Neve, Josh, Jake, Lenny, Bethany and Alisha.
A big thank you as all of my class looked super smart in their PE kits. We enjoyed our first Gymnastic session with Heather today. Have a look at us being animals in our warm up!
A great start to the year.
Welcome back to Toner Avenue and most importantly year 5 welcome to your fabulous new classrooms!
We have already had lots of excitement, from new faces, new topics and new classrooms. Miss Feeney and I have been very impressed with the way you have all began your year and hope that it can continue.
Just a few things before we share some images of the new classrooms:
- PE is on a Monday so children are expected to bring their full kit to participate in the lesson.
- Homework and spellings will be given out on a Friday and we expect them to be returned by the following Friday.
- Each Friday pupils will do a spelling test and a times table test up so it’s important to practice over the week! Any help you can offer your child will be greatly appreciated as they are expected to know their multiplications up to 12×12 by the time they reach year 5.
- Purple reading record books are to be brought to school daily and will be checked. Pupils should read at home every night. It is important to their progress as readers and therefore learners that they can discuss what they are reading and be asked meaningful questions.
We have many exciting topics to look at over the next half term including Myths and Legends, Outer Space and Vikings!
We hope to have an exciting and enjoyable year for all, if you have any questions or queries please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Miss Tait and Miss Feeney.
Dear year4 parents/carers,
We have had a very busy start to year 4 but the children have settled in and are enjoying their time in school! Please find some information about year 4 below:
- Our PE day for Y4BB this term is a Tuesday. Please ensure your child has full kit (T-shirt, black shorts and plimsolls/trainers) which should remain in school until the end of half term. I would also recommend your child brings an outdoor PE kit (jacket and tracksuit bottoms) approaching the autumn and winter. If your child does not have full kit, they cannot participate in PE lessons. Swimming will take place for Y4FD on a Thursday this term and a full swimming kit is needed.
- Homework will be handed out as and when we feel it is appropriate. Spellings will be handed out on a Monday to be tested the following Monday. All children in year 4 are expected to know all of their times tables up to 12×12 by the end of the academic year. Times table will be given out on a Wednesday to be tested the following Wednesday. Please help your child in practicing and remembering all multiplication tables and spellings.
- Purple home school contact books must be brought into school every single day. Spellings and homework will be outlined in this book. A comment about your child’s reading should also be recorded in this book with a signature.
- Children are expected to change their library books independently when needed- any day is appropriate.
- This year the children will explore a range of topics as part of geography and history, beginning with the Anglo Saxons and Celts followed by The Yellow Stone National Park and the Egyptians in the summer term.
Please remember if you have any worries, concerns or want to share some good news from home, the door is always open to arrange to meet with us!
Thank you again for all your support
Miss Bainbridge and Miss Dobbin.